Harris hill soaring corporation - 4NY8
"The Historical soaring Capital of the United States"
Harris Hill is an iconic place for soaring in the United States and the National Glider Museum has preserved the unique history of this field.
"The National Soaring Museum preserves and presents the heritage of motorless flight, and promotes through education, a greater knowledge of soaring, aeronautics, and related physical sciences for everyone."
ICAO : 4NY8
Country : USA
State : New York
City : Elmira
An ideally chosen location :
Located on a hill (the "Harris Hill"), the terrain was initially created to facilitate winch launched takeoffs frequently used during the second half of the 20th Century.
One historic winch truck is even still preserved in the museum.
Now takeoffs are done by towing with the help of a Pawnee (PA-25) dedicated for this purpose.
Multiple renovations :
Over the years, the terrain has evolved according to its use.
Indeed, the first takeoffs on Harris Hill were organized by the US Navy experimenting the first non-motorized flights during the beginning of the 20th century.
Private pilots have concreted the runway in 1969 and some buildings have been renovated including the famous museum.
Vario Design goals with the Harris Hill Soaring Corporation project was to create the most reliable representation of the airfield as it looks like today.
The Harris Hill Soaring Corporation Scenery features :
- A high resolution 30cm / pixel photoground including the airfield and surroundings
- Ultra-detailed 3D buildings with 4K textures (original images taken at Harris hill before being reworked)
- Varied vegetation objects with lawn, trees, bushes and others.
- Various vehicles with static gliders and American cars.
- Night textures
- 100% compatible with Orbx products,
- Made to be FPS Friendly (No impact noticed compared to default scenery)